Purpose of the Role:
Provide direct legal support across a broad spectrum of legal and commercial issues, and guidance on all areas of the Alpargatas business including contentious and non-contentious matters, and in particular:
- Handling of legal issues in the company, with focus on distribution law (in particular franchise and other sales cooperation models), general terms and conditions, competition and antitrust law.
- Advising and supporting the divisions of the Group headquarters as well as the subsidiaries across Europe.
- Cooperation with external law firms and specialists.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage IP litigation disputes involving design rights, trademarks, copyrights and other related rights issues;
- Draft cease and desist letters, advise on dispute strategies and settlement options, instruct and manage external legal providers;
- Advise and effectively communicate legal concepts and concerns to the related business units at all levels;
- Support the ongoing retail expansion; advising, drafting and approving franchise agreements, lease agreements, legal advice on day-to-day relationship with franchisees ;
- Reviewing and negotiate terms and conditions of purchase with wholesale clients and distributors;
- Assist with the drafting of contracts with suppliers;
- Reviewing a wide variety of commercial contracts across all areas of the business including IT, logistics, marketing and retail operations.
Marketing and digital
- Draft agreements with third party agencies, PR companies and other creative providers;
- Provide advice on image rights in general;
- Review and advise on all printed and online promotional materials, advise on e-commerce related initiatives;
- Advise upon all legal implications about the use of all forms of social media;
- Assist in compliance with data protection principles;
- Advise on labeling and product regulatory compliance;
- Provide legal advice on consumer laws relating to the sale of goods in store and online.
- Managing the corporate activity of Group’s subsidiaries across Europe;
- Liaising with finance department for compliance issues (audits, tax compliance);
- Drafting/reviewing finance arrangements (bank financing, guarantees, intra-group finance related documents).
- General litigation support;
- Instruct and coordinate external counsel in various jurisdictions;
- Develop strategies to avoid costly litigations and reduce potential areas of risk;
- Management and negotiation of legal budget.
Capabilities (Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities including Technical Requirements):
- Qualified attorney - Between 5 to 7 years post qualified experience ideally within the fashion, retail or FMCG industry
- Knowledge of distribution law with international relevance
- Strong language skills – native or proficiency level of written and spokenlegalEnglish (working language). French and/or Italian also desirable.
- International experience
- Excellent business judgement and commercial mind with the energy, interest and experience to pursue a broad variety of corporate, commercial and legal management matters to a successful conclusion.
- Proven ability to operate independently and effectively across a variety of operational areas, and in several jurisdictions across Europe.
- Considerable experience working in a fast paced, high growth, agile commercial environment.
- An approachable and adaptable manner to ensure excellent communication and interaction with the wide variety of different people and personalities within the unique environment of HAVAIANAS across all levels and geographies.